Friday, January 22, 2010

My first review: The Rhodia Webnotebook

21st of January, 2010


Webnotebook's cover

I will start my review of this webnotebook by saying that the paper used for it is completely different to the one in the Rhodia pads.

I am currently using my Lamy Safari M with Lamy ink in blue. Thankfully, it doesn't bleed and the feathering isn't noticeable, although on some parts, the ink does bleed through. I don't think I would doodle with a fountain pen on this notebook... let's try the other ones:
Inside the Webnotebook
Parker Vector M Nib with Quink ink in black: Since this pen runs more wet than the Lamy, the feathering is quite noticeable, the trace is thicker causing the spacing to be too narrow. This ink does present some bleedthrough and I am guessing that it is only due to its quick drying time that it doesn't bleed onto the page below.

Pilot VPen Medium Nib: I know this is a very wet pen, so the feathering and bleedthrough I am experiencing, is expected. I won't be able to use this one on this book!

Sheaffer Italic F nib, with Sheaffer green ink: This being a calligraphic pen, it is sure to bleed through, but it is barely noticeable on the reverse page. Also, there is no feathering and the nib writes smooth and easy on this paper. I would also use this pen+ink on the Webnotebook.

Webnotebook
Now, on to the pens!
Pilot V5 Hi-Tecpoint 0.5 in turquoise/black/purple: smooth writing, little feathering, some bleedthrough.  Too bad because I really like these pens.
Pilot V 2000 Hi-Tecpoint 0.5 in black: This one is even smoother than the V5 and shows no bleedthrough. As a matter of fact, writing with this pen feels wonderful. Highly recommended! :)

Pilot G-Tec C4 in blue/ red: this is yet another of my favourite pens from Pilot. It is smooth, delicate and has a very fine tip. It works wonderfully with the Webnotebook.

Pilot G1 in black: this is a gel pen with a fine tip, no feathering and no bleedthrough, but just based on how it feels, I prefer the V2000.

Pilot G2 in purple/pink: both of them work perfectly with this notebook, they also feel more reliable than the G1.

The Faber-Castell PITT "Manga Set" (8 pens/brushes):
click on the image to view larger version
Faber-Castell PITT Artist Pens + Webnotebook

I can use my Manga Set on the Webnotebook :)

Conclusions:
The Rhodia Webnotebook has a pretty good quality paper. I like the fact that its ivory shade is much lighter than the Moleskine's Reporter book and the QuoVadis Memoriae, since I rather much prefer an off-white shade.

Personally, I like the spacing between the lines, which is narrower than the Paperblanks Midi notebooks I normally use, but it is slightly wider than the QuoVadis Memoriae. I also like the fact that they don't get covered up by the ink.

I specifically ordered the small size (9,5 x 14 cm) because I'm not into large books. This size is quite comfortable when carrying the notebook with you; just slip it into a small purse or even a pocket. It isn't bulky and it has rounded corners.

As far as lying flat goes,I am sure that by training or forcing it, it should be able to. For the time being, I don't want to force it, I'd much rather let time and continuous usage do the trick, just as it did with my Filofax Finsbury.

As I write this review (and this last bit on top of my cat!), I grow more and more fond of the Webnotebook. I really enjoy the smooth leather-like cover, the matching ribbon and elastic closure. I actually don't mind the embossed logo on the cover, nor the small printed logo on the bottom-right corner on the right page. As always, having an expandable pocket on the notebook's back cover is highly appreciated, as I tend to fill these to the verge of exploding!

So, would I buy another one of these? Absolutely!


No comments:

Post a Comment